Alumni Spotlight for National Occupational Therapy Month

Zach Pindar, OTR/L

Bachelor of Health Science (BHS) 2016 & Masters in Occupational Therapy (MOT) 2017

Zach Pindar, OTR/L photo

Jerelyne Idica, MOT, OTR/L, CHES, CAPS

Bachelor of Science in Applied Physiology and Kinesiology 2012, Master of Science in Health Education and Behavior 2014, & Masters in Occupational Therapy (MOT) 2016

Jerelyne Idica, MOT, OTR/L, CHES, CAPS

Laura Tuck, OTR/L, MOT

Personal Statement

Why Laura loves occupational therapy…

“My favorite part of my job is meeting new people and finding out how I can help someone achieve what they feel is not achievable again. It’s so rewarding to help my patient gain control and independence to see the light in an otherwise very difficult situation when they are hospitalized.”

Laura Tuck OTR/L, MOT photo

Class of 2012 Masters in Occupational Therapy (MOT)

Acute Care UF Health Jacksonville

Favorite Occupation Traveling the world & exploring new places!

Zach Pindar, OTR/L

Personal Statement

Why Zach loves occupational therapy…

“As an occupational therapist, I'm blessed with daily opportunities to co-pioneer pathways toward optimal quality of life, in body-mind-spirit, with clients from the cradle, to the classroom, and toward college years. Providing a bit of fertilizer to the soil of blossoming babies, children, and teens? What a gift for all involved!”

Zach Pindar, OTR/L photo

Class of 2016 Bachelor of Health Science (BHS)

Class of 2017 Masters in Occupational Therapy (MOT)

Pediatric Hospital-Based Outpatient Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Pediatric Outpatient Rehab

Favorite Occupation Sharing time with loved ones ❤️

Emily (Emmy) Minteer, MOT, OTR/L, CBIS

Personal Statement

Why Emmy loves occupational therapy…

“I love occupational therapy because it helps people get back to being themselves. In rehab, I’m lucky enough to be the one to help teach my patients and their families how to get back to their lives safely after stroke, injury, fall, illness, etc. Whether it’s self-care (bathing, dressing, toileting) or IADL fun (cooking, chasing after grandkids), my goal is for everyone I work with to leave feeling empowered and more independent so they can get back to whatever is meaningful to them. It’s the most rewarding job in the world!”

Emily (Emmy) Minteer, MOT, OTR/L, CBIS photo

Class of 2018 Masters in Occupational Therapy (MOT)

Inpatient Rehab UF Health Rehab Hospital

Favorite Occupation Playing with my dog!

Eugenia Rodriguez, MOT, OTR/L

Personal Statement

Why Eugenia loves occupational therapy…

“I love occupational therapy because it is practical yet creative, holistic and fun. In the field of OT, we study the art of living. We look for ways to restore or compensate for problems that may be interfering with our life. We address the physical body, mind, emotional and spiritual being to promote healing and participation in meaningful life roles. OT helps us to find a sense of purpose that empowers us and brings us joy.”

Eugenia Rodriguez, MOT, OTR/L photo

Class of 2008 Masters in Occupational Therapy (MOT)

Outpatient Neurology Sarasota Memorial Hospital

Favorite Occupation Being an OT, biking, swimming, running, paddling, playing outside

Amanda Bookman, MOTR/L, CLT

Personal Statement

Why Amanda loves occupational therapy…

“I love that traditional, clinical occupational therapy teaches and trains individuals to improve functional independence levels in various areas of self-care, including chronic disease management, which in turn improves health outcomes, quality of life, and hospital readmission rates. I enjoy nontraditional, nonclinical work as a licensed occupational therapist working in UR because I still get to use my OT brain and medical terminology knowledge in a unique way reviewing clinicals from the hospital to make determinations about post-acute care skilled therapy and nursing services for our health plan members.”

Amanda Bookman, MOTR/L, CLT

Class of 2013 Masters in Occupational Therapy (MOT)

Utilization Review (UR) naviHealth (partnered with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan)

Favorite Occupation Latin social dancing: Salsa and Bachata

Christina Beagle, OTR/L, MHA

Personal Statement

Why Christina loves occupational therapy…

“I love Occupational Therapy because it allows me to help others achieve those things that are most important to them. At the age of 10, I thought I wanted to help others learn to walk again. It was at UF that I realized there was this amazing profession that allowed me to bring creativity, problem-solving, and passion to helping others achieve much more than being able to walk- I could give them back autonomy and freedom while also improving their life. One of the most memorable events I experienced was a patient who began crying after using adaptive equipment to put on her socks and shoes after hip surgery. She explained that for several years, she had been waking her family early in the morning to help her put on her socks and shoes so she could go to work. She was so happy that she could now do this on her own!”

Christina Beagle, OTR/L, MHA photo

Class of 2001 Bachelor of Science in OT

Acute Care HCA/West Florida Hospital

Favorite Occupation Caring for my chickens

Jessica Seitz, OTR/L

Personal Statement

Why Jessica loves occupational therapy…

"I love occupational therapy because I find so much joy in watching others thrive! I love getting to help people step outside of their comfort zones to accomplish something new, familiar, or hard. OT creatively helps people recognize the power they have to maximize their potential. When someone recognizes this kind of power, they can easily change the world."

Jessica Seitz, OTR/L photo

Class of 2014 Masters in Occupational Therapy (MOT)

Volunteer with Refugees Currently I live in Central Asia meeting any and every OT need I can- from working with moms trying to find value in parenting in a new challenging culture, finding creative ways for stress management, or helping kiddos reach developmental milestones (and even infant feeding- eek!)

Acute Care (previously) UF Health

Favorite Occupation Running along the seaside as the sun rises

Soya Davis, MS, OTR/L

Personal Statement

Why Soya loves occupational therapy…

"I love being an Occupational Therapist because I get to work with my students and their parents on truly meaningful occupations. It’s exciting to be so creative and provide the just right challenge for my kids to grow during each session!"

Soya Davis, MS, OTR/L photo

Class of 2015 Masters in Occupational Therapy (MOT)

Pediatric Teletherapy (multiple settings) Self Employed Subcontractor

Favorite Occupation Reading (and traveling after COVID)

Zari Cooper, MOT, OTR/L, CLT

Personal Statement

Why Zari loves occupational therapy…

“I love occupational therapy because it enables people to be able to participate in their environment as independently as possible and improve their quality of life.”

Zari Cooper, MOT, OTR/L, CLT photo

Skilled Nursing Facility Therapy Management Corporation

Favorite Occupation Working out

Rose Fletcher Hayes, MOTR/L, NTMTC

Personal Statement

Why Rose loves occupational therapy…

Rose Fletcher Hayes, MOTR/L, NTMTC photo

Class of 2016 Masters in Occupational Therapy (MOT)

Pediatrics, NICU UF Health Shands Acute Care

Favorite Occupation My relationship with Jesus and my family

Supriya Dass, OTR/L

Personal Statement

Why Supriya loves occupational therapy…

“I learned about occupational therapy my freshman year of college at UF. Thinking back on my own experience post-burn injury; I realized how much I could have benefited from an OT teaching me how to confidently and successfully manage my self-care and engage in activities meaningful to me while reducing the burden of care on my family. I decided I wanted to be an OT that day! I love it because it allows me an opportunity to love and serve my patients while helping them eliminate barriers that prevent them from participating in activities meaningful to them. We work together to build a bridge towards achieving their goals promoting their return to living their BEST LIFE!”

Supriya Dass, OTR/L photo

Class of 2011 Masters in Occupational Therapy (MOT)

Acute Care Maxim Healthcare (Travel Company)

Inpatient Rehab Hospital (PRN) Encompass Health

Favorite Occupation I love traveling to new places and experiencing different cultures, being outside in nature, being in communion with God, and spending time with family and friends!

Jennifer Unger, MOTR/L

Personal Statement

Why Jennifer loves occupational therapy…

“I love occupational therapy because it focused on who we are and what we do. When we select activities of daily living and routines that are important to a client, it is easy to show them the benefits. I love that I can teach people about my profession every day and support their progression to what they love to do. Occupational therapy puts function first, which is important to help others achieve their goals. I am thankful every day that I get to play at work!”

Jennifer Unger, MOTR/L photo

Class of 2005 Masters in Occupational Therapy (MOT)

Pediatric Occupational Therapy Connections Therapy in Idaho Falls, Idaho

Favorite Occupation Skiing, hiking, and biking

Rachel Hessen, MOT, OTR/L

Personal Statement

Why Rachel loves occupational therapy…

“I love OT because it allows me to interact with people on a very personal level: by finding out what they’re passionate about and using it to help them achieve their goals. It helps me build connections with people on a level that I would not be able to do if I had not chosen to become an OT.”

Rachel Hessen, MOT, OTR/L photo

Inpatient Rehab Lynn Rehabilitation Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL

Favorite Occupation Eating at a new restaurant

Allison DuBrow, OTR/L

Personal Statement

Why Allison loves occupational therapy…

“Being an OT has been such a blessing in my life. My career as an OT has allowed me to use my knowledge and skills to help others live to their fullest potential, while also allowing me to balance raising and enjoying my family.”

Allison DuBrow, OTR/L photo

Class of 1999 Bachelor of Science in OT

Flagler Hospital St. Augustine, FL

Favorite Occupation Family time

Jerelyne Idica, MOT, OTR/L, CHES, CAPS

Personal Statement

Why Jerelyne loves occupational therapy…

“I love being an OT because we see every individual through a special lens. With these lens, we have the unique ability to connect, educate, and empower – no matter what challenges arise! We are the eternal optimists!”

Jerelyne Idica, MOT, OTR/L, CHES, CAPS

Class of 2012 Bachelor of Science in Applied Physiology and Kinesiology

Class of 2014 Master of Science in Health Education and Behavior

Inpatient Rehab Brooks Rehabilitation

Favorite Occupation Going to the market and roasting vegetables!

Robbie Armstrong, OTR/L

Personal Statement

Why Robbie loves occupational therapy…

"As a travel OT who has worked in different places and different settings all across the country, I love seeing all the different ways Occupational Therapy can positively impact people all across the spectrum of life. On my current assignment, I've realized the value of Occupational Therapy in those most severely affected by the pandemic and how it uniquely addresses the challenges they face."

Robbie Armstrong, OTR/L photo

Covid ICU/Acute Care University of Maryland Medical System

Favorite Occupation Camping and hiking

Claire Vanlandingham, OTR/L, MOT, CBIS

Personal Statement

Why Claire loves occupational therapy…

“I love occupational therapy because it allows us to help others regain the skills needed to transition home and back to the community. I meet adults from all walks of life who have been through a substantial and sudden change and have the opportunity to help someone relearn the skills necessary to go home and live their life successfully.”

Claire Vanlandingham, OTR/L, MOT, CBIS photo

Class of 2010 Masters in Occupational Therapy (MOT)

Adult Inpatient Rehab West Florida Rehabilitation Institute

Favorite Occupation Spending time on the beach with my two sweet children